All children should be at school, for 8.45am, every day the school is open, unless the reason for the absence is unavoidable.
The school applies the following procedures in deciding how to deal with individual absences:
- Parents are required to telephone and inform school on the morning of the first day of absence no later than 9.30am.
- The school operates a first day contact system which means that should we not have been informed of a child's absence, we will contact parents in order to receive an explanation for this.
- Parents may also be prompted to contact school via a text message or e-mail from ParentMail.
- Parents should maintain contact with school for absences longer than one day.
- Unexplained absences are followed up with a letter from the school office. No reply will result in the absence being recorded as unauthorised (U code).
- When learners arrive late, they are required to report to the main office and parents are asked to sign them in to record their arrival and reasons for lateness.
- Arriving after 8.50am will result in a child having their attendance recorded as a Late (L code) on the register.
- Arriving after 9.10am will result in a child having their attendance recorded as unauthorised (U code).
- Pupils collected before 2.45pm without good reason will be recorded as unauthorised (U code).
- In appropriate circumstances, entering into Parenting Contracts and issuing Penalty Notices will be considered.
Here is a useful link to the NHS website 'Is my child too ill for school?'
Further details can be found in our Attendance Policy below.